Do you spend the first hour of the day hitting the gym or the snooze button? Either way, you might find yourself perpetually pressed for time in the a.m. And so, as much as you may want to sit down and savor every bite of the most important meal of the day, you find yourself reduced to grabbing a to-go bagel from your favorite cafe.
Halfway through the morning, you’re hungry again. Close to lunch time, you’re ravenous and have barely accomplished anything because of your hunger.
What have we learned from this all-too-familiar scenario? Two things. One, you need a breakfast meal that can fuel you for the day. Two, it has to be something that you can eat on-the-go.
Our solution to this: breakfast sandwiches. You can eat it while on your way to work, they’re filling, and they’re tasty.
Here are three recipes that you can try out:
- For the meat lover: BBQ Beef Breakfast Sandwich
There’s nothing quite like a protein-heavy breakfast to get you through that morning slump. If you have leftover roasted beef from the night before, this savory sandwich is for you. This is perfect for those who want to jumpstart their protein-intake for the day.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup roasted beef
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 hamburger bun, toasted
- Start by cooking the bacon in a nonstick skillet until it is crispy. Cook your egg next. The recommended time for cooking the eggs is 3 minutes, but this can change depending on how well-done you prefer your eggs. Set the bacon and egg aside.
- Heat up your leftover roast beef in a pan, add a bit of barbecue sauce as you do so,
- Toast your buns on the pan.
- Spread barbecue sauce on the bun too. Next, pile on the roast beef, egg, and bacon.
- For the plant-based warrior: Tofu Salad Sandwich
This breakfast sandwich gives you the taste of an egg sandwich, but without the egg. And the even better news: it only takes around 5 minutes to prepare this healthy sandwich.
You will need:
- 1/2 block of firm Tofu
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- vegan mayo
- 2 slices of breads
- Squeeze out moisture from the tofu with your hands. Once the excess liquid is drained from the block, crumble the tofu in a bowl.
- Mix in turmeric, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, cilantro, and 1 tbsp of vegan mayo. Set this mixture aside, preferably kept inside the fridge while you toast the bread.
- Toast the bread and layer with vegan mayo.
- Line the bread with lettuce and add the tofu salad.
- For the sweet-tooth: Banana French Toast
Okay, so maybe this isn’t the healthiest option, but it’s a real mood-booster. Enjoy your morning commute with this indulgent breakfast/dessert. Between the fruit and the Flavors of the french toast, we really can’t decide what we love the most about this breakfast sandwich.
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 medium-sized egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of cornflakes, crushed
- Start by crushing half a cup of cornflakes. Set this aside.
- Layer a slice of bread with bananas and then top it with the other slice.
- In a bowl, whisk your milk, egg, vanilla extract, and nutmeg together.
- Dip the sandwich in this mixture and roll it through your crushed cornflakes.
- In a skillet, melt butter and cook the sandwich until golden brown. 2 minutes on each side should be enough to make it crispy.
It takes more than just a rigid exercise regimen and coffee to help you power through the day. On top of working out in the morning and drinking your cup of coffee, you need to make sure that your body is nourished and well fueled-up too. You may not have all the time in the world in the am (in fact, you may find that you're constantly running late), but this shouldn't be an excuse to miss the most important meal of the day.
When you honor your body by giving it sustenance in the morning, you'll find that you're more alert and productive. And if you really want to up the ante on alertness and productivity, there's a supplement or two for you at www.trionutrition.com. Please browse through our shop and take a look at what we have to offer.